“Apparitions/Visions/ in Scripture”
“Be Not Afraid”
Holy Scripture is the True, consistent and immutable Word of God. Whenever mankind has faced a new era in the salvific process God speaks and prepares us through visions, apparitions, and locutions, which are by definition, supernatural occurrences. There would be no reason to deny such occurrences in the times in which we are living.
The following are some examples of the recorded Biblical references to apparitions. For those discerning the truth, please consider the consistency between the greetings in each event and the first words of Our Lady when she greeted the 6 children in Medjugorje in 1981. Strikingly, in Biblical Apparitions, the human is greeted with the phrase “Do not be afraid” as is documented in her first recorded words when she spoke in Medjugorje.
- Gen. 15:1 – God Speaks to Abram. “After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, “Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your shield”; your reward shall be very great.”
- Gen. 26:24 – God Speaks To Isaac. And that very night the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; “Do not be afraid”, for I am with you and will bless you and make your offspring numerous for my servant Abraham’s sake.”
- Daniel 10:17-20 –An Angel Speaks to Daniel. How can my lord’s servant talk with my lord? For I am shaking, no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me.” Again one in human form touched me and strengthened me. He said, “Do not fear”, greatly beloved, you are safe.
4. Luke 1:11-13 – An Angel Speaks to Zechariah regarding the birth of John the Baptist.Then there appeared to him an angel of the Lord standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was terrified and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid Zechariah”, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife will bear you a son, an you will name him John.
5. Luke 1:30 – The Annunciation – Angel Speaks to Mary. The angel said to her, “Do Not Be Afraid for you have found favor with God.
- Matthew 1:19 -21 19 – The Angel Appears to Joseph. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid” to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
- Matthew 2:13 13 Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.”
- Matthew 17:3, 5-7 – The Transfiguration 3. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus. While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.”
- Matthew 28:2-5 And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow.For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid”; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.”
- Matthew 28:4-5 – Angel Speaks to Mary Magdalene and the Women at the tomb
For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. 5 But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid”; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.
- Mark 16:9 – Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene Now after he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons.
- Matthew 28:8-10 – Jesus Speaks to Disciples After the Resurrection
So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid”; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”
- Luke 24:29-31 Road to Emmaus – So He went in to stay with them.When he was at the table with them, He took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them.Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and He vanished from their sight.
Acts of the Apostles
- Acts 1:3 Jesus Appears to the Apostles. After his suffering he presented himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.
- Acts: 1:9 The Ascension When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
- Acts 10:1-3 Angel appears to Cornelius In Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of the Italian Cohort, as it was called.He was a devout man who feared God with all his household; he gave alms generously to the people and prayed constantly to God. One afternoon at about three o’clock he had a vision in which he clearly saw an angel of God coming in and saying to him, “Cornelius.”
- Acts 10:9-11 Peter in ecstasy About noon the next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat; and while it was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the heaven opened and something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four corners.
Now while Peter was greatly puzzled about what to make of the vision that he had seen.
- Acts 10:19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Look, three men are searching for you. 20 Now get up, go down, and go with them without hesitation; for I have sent them.”
- Acts 12:6-9 The very night before Herod was going to bring him out, Peter, bound with two chains, was sleeping between two soldiers, while guards in front of the door were keeping watch over the prison.Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He tapped Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his wrists. The angel said to him, “Fasten your belt and put on your sandals.” He did so. Then he said to him, “Wrap your cloak around you and follow me.” Peter went out and followed him; he did not realize that what was happening with the angel’s help was real; he thought he was seeing a vision.
- Acts 27:22-24 I urge you now to keep up your courage, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For last night there stood by me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, 24 and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul’; you must stand before the emperor; and indeed, God has granted safety to all those who are sailing with you.’
- Revelation 1:12-19 – Christ Speaks to John
Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. 14 His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, 15 his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. 16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with full force.
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, “Do not be afraid”; I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive forever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. 19 Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this.
June 24, 1981 – Mary Speaks to 6 Croatian Children
“Our Lady was maybe 4 / 600 meters away from us and she was waving to us to get close to her. And even we were six, none of us dared to go up the hill.
Fear conquered all feelings we had.” Ivanka
“That second day June the 25th was the first time when we approached Our Lady. That is the way our daily apparitions started. She presented herself to us. She said My Children, “Be not afraid, I am the Queen of Peace.” Mirjiana